Saturday, August 21, 2010

Food Trip

Tripping on food is what I miss most with good friends back home.  I love cooking and I love it more when they want for more. I find cooking therapeutic.  I get to be calm and somehow I find peaceful moments when I cook. 

This time, in a faraway land, where everything is new and local food seems hard to chew because I miss home, I let a new found friend, Jennisa cook for me and it was good.  She has been saving her dried salted fish and a few cubed beef she smuggled from a nearby City for this occasion. It is not yet Christmas, but it somehow felt like it was. 

I savored Filipino dishes like I have never tasted them before.  Now it makes a lot of sense being away from home and learning to appreciate even the littlest of things, like eating dried salted fish with bare hands and a plateful of rice.  Cebuano is not even my mother tongue but I speak it like a pro now and liking it. 

It has been a good week talking in the vernacular.  I have been teaching a local guy from my new friend's work how to talk in Cebuano, and finding him very interested in learning the language I find myself challenged in learning his native Oriya too. 

We also went to the market place and she made me taste all the different street foods for a few rupees.  I cannot even remember what they were called and although it was unhygienic, it was a good experience just the same.

Good food, good company, good way to start a whole new week of experiences, this time at work in Balangir.

All is well.

No comments:

Post a Comment